PORTSMOUTH, R.I. — The St. Mary Parish House, located at 324 East Main Road, will see new owners in the new year and a significant change for a well-known Portsmouth business.
The Island Child Care Center and Day School, a 20-year-old business, recently purchased the St. Mary Parish House, according to Laura Nasser.
From Nasser on Facebook:
Child care is important. We are their first teachers. We nurture, love, and help pave the way for the children of tomorrow. We care for the children of our community like they are our own.
Today, under the leadership of our strong, and dedicated mother, The Island Child Care Center and Day School is writing a bold new chapter in our nearly 20 year enterprise. We have purchased the former St. Mary’s Parish House on East Main Road, to bring both of our schools together and secure the future of our quality care.
Although there were some challenging times, we cannot thank our supporters enough. We also humbly show our gratitude to our creative and passionate teachers who take our breath away every day, and our wonderful families who put their faith and trust in us. We are so excited for what this historical building has to offer us, the children and the community. Watch as we take on this victorian Parish Hall and transform it into a beautiful school.
Special thanks to our dearest friend Lauren Mailloux for being such a big part of this process, as well as Steve Kirby.
The Island Child Care Center and Day School currently operates in Portsmouth from two locations: 3044 East Main Road and 13 Bristol Ferry Road.
The St. Mary Parish House has a rich history. The 47,820-sq-ft., two-story structure was built in 1926 to house educational and recreational facilities for the parish. In recent years, the structure housed the Aquidneck Island Winter Farmers’ Market and the parish thrift store.
Situated on the southern end of the 69-acre property of St. Mary Episcopal Church, the shingle-style parish house was designed by architects Clarke & Howe from plans prepared by Isaac Chase Jr. The plot of land housing the structure was first donated in 1925 by William Vanderbilt, a trustee for the trust of Sarah Gibbs, who was influential in the parish founding.