Know which are the most dangerous cities in New Mexico.
New Mexico is home to beautiful mountains. national forests. However, the state is ranked with the third highest crime rate in the US. Let us take a look at the most dangerous cities in New Mexico.
According to Travel Safe-Abroad, reported crimes in New Mexico fell year over year yet violent crimes remain high at 778, only second to Alaska with 838. Property crime has 31 incidents, with primarily thefts as the crime. In this list, let us look at the most dangerous cities in New Mexico.
- GALLUP. Gallup is a moderate sized town with 22,000 residents and is ranked as one of the most dangerous cities in New Mexico for several years. Gallup has reported 437 reported crimes, predominantly assault. Property crimes were reported at 987.
- BELEN. Belen is a small town in New Mexico, unfortunately, this ranks as part of this list of the most dangerous cities in New Mexico. Criminal activity here is 190% higher than the national average. FBI data lists violent crime at 2,029 and property crime at 5,234 per 100,000.
- DEMING. Residents hoped that this town would be a thriving metropolis, however, this town is ranked as one of the most dangerous cities in New Mexico as the violent crime here is at 963 per 100,000. Property crime is at 5,153.
READ ALSO: Consumer Confidence Index Rises Amid Cost-Of-Living Concerns And Economic Outlook Improvements
- LOS LUNAS. Los Lunas is a rapidly growing town, and with a rapid growth, there is crime. Hence, this is why it is ranked 4th in this list of the most dangerous cities in New Mexico. Reported property crime here is at 4,074 and violent crimes at 1,286 per 100,000. Residents have a q1 in 24 chance of being victim to theft, and 1 in 78 chances of facing violent crime.
- ROSWELL. Roswell is a popular tourist attraction. However, this charming town is ranked as one of the most dangerous cities in New Mexico. With a probability of 1 in 27 chance of facing property crime. These statistics are treading upwards, getting worse by the years.
- CLOVIS. This town is both good news and bad news. Clovis has been ranked in the state that is excellent for solo travelers. However, this is ranked in this list of the most dangerous cities in New Mexico as this town is also ranked for their rape and murder reports.
- ARTESIA. Artesia is one of the most dangerous cities in New Mexico regarding theft. Residents have 1 in 430 chance of being victim to violence. Property crime is at 1 in 55 chance. Crime is higher in the northern part of the city and lowest in the southeastern part of the city.