Find out the most dangerous places in Colombia that you need to avoid when you visit the country.
Colombia is known as a country with outstanding natural beauty and culture. However, the violence in the country is staggering. Things lie kidnappings and carjackings have significantly increased during the last few years. Come along and let us discover the most dangerous places in Colombia that you might or might not have known.
According to Travel Snippet, theft is common, many people get kidnapped in the country. Homicide stats have also shown that many people are killed everyday. They also have compiled a list of the most dangerous places in Colombia that you might want to stay away.
- BOGOTA. The first in today’s list of most dangerous places in Colombia is Bogota. Bogota used to be a crime-ridden nightmare, but things have improved since the 80s and 90s. However, there are still safety issues that plague innocent people. The streets can be potentially unsafe at nights, and there are certain areas of the city that locals would recommend to stray away from.
- BUENAVENTURA. The second in this list of most dangerous places in Colombia. This place is still one of Colombia’s most dangerous cities. The violence surrounding rural areas have only gotten worse. Although, violence has dropped dramatically since 2016, but there are still some precautions that you need before visiting this place.
- COLOMBIAN BORDERS. The third in this list of most dangerous places in Colombia. This rea is where drug rings and parliamentary groups are strong. It is not uncommon here to see people taken to hostage. It has become an increasingly dangerous area that you need to be aware of.
Although there are some most dangerous places in Colombia, this does not mean that the country should be avoided, Colombia is still one of the most beautiful places with rich culture and breathtaking landscapes, you just need to plan your visit wisely.
- SOACHA. The fourth in this list of most dangerous places in Colombia. Soacha contains many impoverished residents who have resorted to prostituting and crime just to be able to feed themselves. There seems almost no law enforcement prescence at night, where violence spikes due to outposts set up by gangs that are attempting to gain control over the territory.
- CALI. The fifth in this list of most dangerous places in Colombia. Cali is a city than can be safe for tourists, despite being in this list. Cali has been making strides to improve its economy, while the country continues to be a hotspot for drug trafficking, etc. However, it still is not a free ride and you need to follow the usual safety precautions when visiting here.
- ARAUCA. The last in this list of most dangerous places in Colombia. Overseas Security Advisory Council said that Arauca should not be visited. The Colombian National Police, DAS, the army, and the National Liberation Army have conducted several operation in the department of Arauca with majority of it being against illegal armed groups involved in drug trafficking, illegal mining, and extortion.
Despite the risks, you are more likely to have unforgettable memories when you come and visit Colombia. However, you need to be cautious when you travel here. Stay safe out there, folks!