Find out if your area is part of this list’s most dangerous cities in Maryland.
A combination of issues like job scarcity, low wages, lack of motivation for work, and prisons that contribute as to why there are high crime rates in the cities of Maryland. This list features some of the most dangerous cities in Maryland, find out if your city makes the cut or not.
According to Southwest Journal, there are several factors that could contribute as to why there are high crime rates in the state. For today’s list let us find out some of the most dangerous cities in Maryland. Read more below to know if your city is here or not.
- OCEAN CITY. Ocean City may come as a surprise that it is part of the most dangerous cities in Maryland. This popular summer tourist destination known for the beach and boardwalk has the highest rate of property crime in the state. Residents have a 1 in 9 chance of falling victim to property crime. The 8M annual tourists greatly inflate the crime per capita statistics in this city.
- ELKTON. The second on this list of most dangerous cities in Maryland is Elkton. Ironically, this city is called the elopement capital of the east coast. Unfortunately, hasty marriages are not the only regrettable choices in this area as the town’s crime rate is the 2nd highest in Maryland. This city also ranked as the fourth state for violent crimes.
- CAMBRIDGE. The third in this list of most dangerous cities in Maryland is Cambridge. This area reported the highest rate of rape cases in the state in 2020. Despite its allure of a leisurely walk, it is advised to take caution as the city is the fourth highest when it comes to property crimes.
By addressing underlying factors, cities in the state can work towards reducing their crime rates and creating safer environments for its residents.
- BALTIMORE. Many of you might be expecting for this city to be the top in the list of most dangerous cities in Maryland. This city has nicknames like Bodymore or Murderland which is accurate as it reflects its reputation for violent crimes. In 2020, this city has reported 348 murders. However, it is important to note that Baltimore is a large city with plenty of safe neighborhoods.
- CUMBERLAND. The fifth in this list of most dangerous cities in Maryland is Cumberland. Residents of this city faces a 1 in 22 chance of being victim to property crime, marking the 3rd highest burglary rate in Maryland. Additionally, Cumberland’s metro area is among the poorest in the US in terms of per capita income, which is a possible contribution to the city’s high crime rates.
- SALISBURY. Salisbury is the sixth in this list of most dangerous cities in Maryland. This city may be like a charming place to call home, unfortunately crime rates here are high. This city ranked 7th for violent crime, with residents having a 1 in 136 chance of being a victim of violent crime. Property crime is also a concern.
- HYATTSVILLE. The last in the list of most dangerous cities in Maryland. Hyattsville may be charming on the outskirts of Washington D.C, but this city faces high crime rates, particularly in property crimes, which is higher than most cities in the state.
Stay safe out there folks!